Sunday, September 5, 2010

Mental Stuffs

It's been a while since I've updated this. I have no excuse aside from uni and sheer laziness. Perhaps also somewhat lack of inspiration.. which is rather silly since every day I see and experience things that cause me to question the world, and people in it. A lot.

I've been happy recently getting back into some animal 'stuff'. I've taken an interest lately (or should I say, refuelled my somewhat neglected interest) in mistreated / abused / neglected animals, and the mental states of the people who commit such atrocities. Watching a few cases on RSPCA Animal Rescue, I am truly horrified to know that some people could actually have the capability to do such things; to realise they are inflicting harm on a living creature. My question is: what leads people to such states? I realise not all these people realise what they are doing; but then there are some people so apparently sadistic that they really do see their actions, and the consequences, amusing.

Only days ago a woman was caught on camera putting a cat into a bin. Thankfully the general public's reaction to this showed that we are, in general, a society that loves animals; whether many of our actions prove that or not, at least the presence of that compassion is positive.. especially as this woman was later reported to say 'it's just a cat'. Indeed, that struck a sore cord in me.

Something a little happier, or at least less saddening, I've been contemplating as a result of this and something someone said to me (or something along these lines); Are we who we say we are, or are we how other people see us? I believe this relates to mental states and some potentially resulting problems, might they be inflicting cruelty on humans or non-human animals. Is it our actions that dictate our true state of mind, or might our actions be a more complex facade or outlet for expressing a complicated web of thoughts and emotions we have trouble understanding? It's all very well telling someone to think differently, or do something they may have mental barriers about (i.e. fears), but without knowing the exact build up of emotions and thoughts an individual experiences, it is nearly impossible to decipher their reasons for doing something. Even the most in-depth experiment cannot obtain absolutely conclusive answers as any one individual may have a slightly different reaction that would render a result at least partially invalid.

It feels strange that I'm trying to see the other side of the mind; from the abuser's perspective. Just to clarify; I am in NO way defending anyone's actions; I believe any harm inflicted on human or animal is inexcusable, unjustifiable.. I am simply contemplating, in a very general way, what drives people to act in any way, and what it is that makes up one's 'person', 'identity'.. who they are.

I maintain that the mind is an extremely powerful tool.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are getting back into things you have been neglecting :)

    Unfortunately it's hard to understand or know exactly what thoughts, and why someone acts or behaves the way they do, we can only ever assume from what we have experience and know ourselves.. and usually this is totally different to another person. Thus assuming becomes totally pointless and irrelevant.

    Was an interesting take at looking into the human psyche... Here's another question:
    Is the mind just a "tool" or is it the only thing that is absolute?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly it - the fact that we judge based on our own experiences. This is why there is so little understanding between some people. Although I am still caught in a little rift of hypocrisy here; in saying that, I still don't understand how many people can see what happens to animals (i.e. bullfighting, hunting, slaughter etc) to be acceptable, and in fact morally fine. This is probably because it's such a strong belief in me though. And you're right - many assumptions are rendered pointless with this way of thinking.

    I would say the mind is the only thing that is absolute, simply because it is so 'big' and incredibly hard to control.. it's the only thing that exists uncontrollably.. beyond total human comprehension. But, that's just my perspective in this moment in time.. Great question.

    ReplyDelete