Friday, August 28, 2009

Dreams

It's been quite a while since I updated this (had been six days a few days ago when someone casually reminded me about it :P). I hadn't forgotten about it; uni assignments have been bogging me down slightly. However, they've been submitted and I have study week this week, so here I am!

Some interesting things happened this week. Unfortunately I didn't write some of them down, so most likely I've forgotten some important things (ALWAYS write stuff down - you never know when you'll be inspired or just have a thought you want to remember). One recurring subject with a few people lately has been dreams. As in, those animated images you see in the depths of nightly unconsciousness. I say nightly because, for some strange reason, I never seem to dream the same if I sleep during the day. Wonder why that is.

So, where do dreams come from? Is there actually an answer, or just a heap of supported but unproven theories? (Which would make sense because, technically, nothing can actually be proven. Apart from physically visible and unambiguous details like hair colour. But even in this case, one could take a philosophical approach and question whether colour even exists or not..).

I tend to dream when I am stressed or worried. In other words, when I have a lot of things on my mind. Also, if I am intently watching something just before I turn out my light, it is likely I will dream something related. Not always a good thing. The other interesting thing about my dreams is that often, I am able to wake up slightly and go back to the same dream, continuing from where I left. Not cool when it comes to nightmares. Thankfully I can also wake myself up in that situation.

Is there a connection between dreams and how we act simultaneously in reality? If we have violent or active dreams, much of the time we wake up to a messy pile of bed sheets and blankets; sometimes I find myself with my head at the other end of the bed to when I fell asleep, which causes a nasty case of disorientation.

How does sleep walking and talking connect to it all? If you're dreaming of, say, being in a war zone, are you walking through that war zone? Because you'd think in that case you'd be sneaking about and possibly attacking people, which I haven't heard of with a lot of sleep walkers (although I am sure it happens more than I know).

I recall hearing a while ago that people dream every night, or every time they sleep, but don't necessarily remember the whole dream or any part of it. How has it been 'proven' that this happens? Does it mean there is some kind of chemical or nervous reaction that causes it all?

Does drinking sugary drinks or food before bed affect dreams at all, given the increased activity that sugar stimulates?

A few random thought offerings until I remember all the other deep stuff I have been thinking about :)

No comments:

Post a Comment