Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Random Events.. Or Not So

Talk about a heap of random, weirdly related events. That's what I'm going to do; talk about them. Even if they aren't interesting. I enjoy rambling.

My random events include watching Pride and Prejudice (any version) for the umpteenth time, trying to work out the automatic checkout system, walking to the shops (in the other order.. although i suppose walking back from the shops could be counted) and wearing a surgical mask due to my sister's suspected swine flu. Although wearing the mask is pretty cool; it feels dangerous in a weird way (risk of catching disease? No idea. Pretty bad thought, but one has to amuse themself in such situations).

On to the connections. This might sound slightly gibberish because I have a lot of thoughts, and I'm not entirely sure if they're going to make sense just put on the table like this.

Firstly, 'Pride and Prejudice' has, as movies should do, affected my perception of every day life, especially as I compare the time period as set in the movie, to that of the present. The automatic checkout system is, I think, the perfect example of the practically opposite ways in which we live now. It used to be markets, people selling and sharing fresh produce. Now, there is no light, friendly chatter as one makes their way through the automatic checkout. It is just one more way in which technology is replacing people. Literally. However, aside from perhaps, improved speed and efficiency of these systems, I perceive the issue to be with employment; or rather, the recession and consequent rise in unemployment.

Alas, I didn't use the automatic checkout. I opted for the traditional bartering option (i.e. give cash to the person). This may have been partially because I think the machines only accept card, which I didn't have, but the human contact is also nice. It's an opportunity to help break the monotony of the checkout assistant's day by asking after their health, making an amusing comment about the day in general, or simply making a fool of oneself (admittedly, the latter happens most to me). Indeed, I did make her smile, even if it was only due to the sweet crunch of monetary notes in her hand.

Soon after this, I began the walk home. It is about a twenty minute walk, which was quite pleasant (and hey, good for the health, which always feels like a bonus). Again, the walking took my thoughts back to the viewings of 'Pride and Prejudice'. I considered the amount of walking people do now compared to back then. OK, so horses and carriages were used a fair amount, but online ordering didn't exist; heck, phone ordering didn't exist! It's clear that as much as technology has been an assistance to our, generally, severely imbalanced use of time, in many ways it has been more than equally detrimental to our health and, possibly, mental and psychological development. Although, that could be debated strongly by arguments that are totally valid. With technology and breakthroughs of many sorts that have been achieved over time, it seems that a decrease in exercise may have been met by an increase in brain stimulation. Unfortunately, as the positive branch thickens, it shortens again after a while. Brain activity can only go so far without adequate physical activity.

How does all this connect to the fashionable surgical mask? Basically, the mask, and nursing the sister, reminds me of that fateful scene in 'Pride and Prejudice' where Jane is left to the mercy of the elements and consequently finds herself bedridden at the Netherfield residence. For some reason it is refreshing to see traditional medicine at work; perhaps the absence of countless drugs and tubes creates a more relaxing atmosphere. Not to mention the classic beauty of the room. I really wouldn't complain about having to live in that little shack. But, again, an illustration of the insanity (regardless of their many beneficial properties) of today's remedies. There needs to be a maintained balance between taking care of ourselves, and letting medication do the work.

Six paragraphs of rambling later, and I think I have explained the connections of the random events.

No comments:

Post a Comment