Saturday, August 29, 2009

Imaginings and Reality

An interesting thought just occurred to me. Actually, it's silly, but it does show how strong the mind can be. Well, the mind is, period.

Have you ever imagined something so intensely that you convinced yourself that it might actually be true? I remember as a little kid, one day I was wishing so hard that I was at the North Pole with Santa, that for a while I was able to create such a strong feeling of the idea being a reality. It was an extremely odd sensation; one that has caused the memory to stay with me quite vividly.

Other times, I have been thinking about something and either questioning why it couldn't be true, or simply believing it is without question, and a moment later I have found myself in a state of confusion wondering why, in fact, whatever the thing was, wasn't as I had imagined it to be. Sounds ridiculous, but it's a strange feeling.

Perhaps many of our perspectives in real life have simply been imagined into being by us as individuals. Perhaps what we believe of the world is untrue, but we are surviving regardless because we believe these things and engage ourselves in life accordingly.. which could explain some of the bad situations humanity finds itself in.. could we be the cause of our own eventual extinction?

This sort of relates to my last post about dreams. Sometimes dreams can be so vivid that we awaken believing them to be true. It can be hugely depressing or relieving to realise the situation in which ever dream is untrue. Just a figment of our imagination. Or whatever it is that produces dreams, because I find it hard to believe that if people were in control of their own dreams they would subject themselves to the horrors of nightmares. Then again, there are some strange people out there. Or, investigating that possibility, people could easily conjure ideas for horrific stories - so nightmares may have a purpose after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment